Sunday 25 August 2019

THE ART OF FAILING


It was a late tiring day at office. Time was almost nearing 11 in the night, as I was waiting for my cab to arrive. The mandatory meetings, constant skype calls, ever increasing to-do-lists, never-ending action items, iterated discussions, Balance sheets not tallying, cash flow mis-match - huh..! What not..? – A ruckus was running inside my mind and one of my hand started to shiver. Thought for a moment, Iam going to faint. Looked down, to my fortune, it was my vibrating mobile. Picked up the phone. “Sir, cash thane?”, driver on the other side. Yes, I replied. Everywhere, this cash flow problem exists, my mind whispered inside.

Cut down 5 mins from then, into the cab. The driver entered the OTP, switched off the inside lights and started the ride. It was a whole lot of darkness surrounded, both inside and outside. There were showers starting to pour. The music player was chanting Kolaveri song, and the leisurely made rhythm somehow was rightly accompanying my sluggish mood.

Started surfing the net. People were fighting with negative hashtags being trended, against their anti stars. Came out of it as my mind was already tired of the rumpus going inside.

The Playlist started Rowdy baby next. I closed my eyes lying back to the seat. My mind started to ponder through..

Why do people spread negativity everywhere...??
Why do people are always interested in offending others…?? And finally,
Why do my Balance sheets always don’t tally…??

But, to my bad luck, I was able to get answers for none. Opened my eyes to see Thalappakatti passing through. And rains have started to smash as well. Just when I was thinking to call my mom asking her to get an umbrella out, remembered her, telling me to eat out and come. So, asked driver to stop by a near by restaurant for a take home parcel. Driver stopped at a restaurant. It was pouring heavily outside. Was hesitant to get out in that. After a bit of time, opened the door, and started rushing to the hotel entrance. Into the hotel, the clock’s were turning near to 12. Pin drop silence. Ordered my food. Turned back to witness a delivery guy sitting over, earphones plugged in. Seeing me, he removed his earphones out. Till then, I don’t know I was in for a shock in next 2 mins. Yes. Came to know, he has done his Master’s degree and working here Part time as he could not find a proper job. Further came to know, his friends/relatives who used to be good to him once were mocking him for what he is, now.

Master’s Degree.. Regular job from 9 to 7. Part time job from 8 to 2 in the night. Lot of humiliations and hatred. Just when I could not imagine what was going around, his parcel came. He took the Parcel. I told him its raining heavily outside. He smiled and said, “Let it come. I can manage”. Kept the parcel in his bag. Plugged his ear phones again. Put down a cover in his head. Said me Bye., and started walking to his bike casually in that heavy rain.

5 mins from then, my parcel came. Picked it up and ran into the cab. Cab has started. But, inside me, the words he uttered was running on loop, “Let it come. I can manage”. Well, not only for rains. That is how we should take the humiliations and challenges coming in front of us, as well. Somewhere, my mind was telling this to me.

Got a call from my mother as I was about to reach home. “Rains are coming heavily. Shall I come out with an umbrella?”, she asked. Without my knowledge, the words came out, “Let it come, I can manage”. Within a few moments, driver stopped the car on my street side and switched on the lights inside. The darkness has gone, atlast, both inside and outside. And Rahman's Saregame song was being played in the radio, “Mistakes are the secret of success….”. 

Paid cash to the driver and started to walk off.  Some how, inside, things started to look easy. Thoughts started becoming crystallized and my balance sheets started to get tally!!



2 comments:

Vishalaxmi said...

Wonderful Nagraj,really impressed by your writing. I can visualise every moment on that night. Yes you are one such person who can see positive side on every bad situation.All the best for your balance sheet and cash flow to get tallied.��

Girish said...

Great one da Naga. 👍